Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Letter to Sidney Poitier

Mr. Sidney Poitier,

I would like to thank you for being the most influential artist in my life, when I was a little boy my grandfather and I would watch Lilies of the Field, Guess Who’s coming to Dinner, In the Heat of the Night and Ghost Dad. Being from a small town in a neighborhood filled with drugs and violence, watching you on my Television were a way to escape the dreadful reality that was between me and an always locked door. Grand-dad was not only grand-dad, but he was also the only dad (in flesh) as I had lost my own father at a young age. Life has been a spiritual journey, in which has lead me to this exact point where I am asking you for your blessing.
First, I believe that you are the most influential African American artistic diplomat to have enlightened the world on the most important issues that need be addressed. The first member I have is when I was 3 years old my grandfather would laugh at things you’d say, such as predicting an African American president and the endless opportunity that will follow. Even at a young age, I felt your e on screen presence and knew that there’s truth to every piece of dialog you have spoken.
Mr. Poitier, It’s daring to tackle racial, religious, political and progressive issues all in one film. Each time I saw you on my television I felt the need to always be alert, because you were going to teach me a life quote and program my consciousness with life tools. Up until the age of 9 I didn’t know how to read. Not because I wasn’t intelligent, rather I had no interest in the science and history books. I was assigned Summer School in 2008 so that my reading level would be on the same level as my peers; still I choose not to comprehend until my foster mom gave me your book. The Measure of a Man is the first book I read in it’s entirely, because it was rather entertaining and I learned about your childhood.

The Measure of a Man is rather witty, charming and inspirational. I kept thinking, “Sidney Poitier was an adventurous kid who had fun despite how many times the wasp swelled his head”. We have a lot in common, I thought it’s a huge step to leave my small town for the Hollywood big screen to provide away for my Family; at such a young age your heart was like a lion’s, it would’ve been difficult for me to leave my Mother for another Country. Despite your struggles you have amounted to someone I dream to become. As of lately, I’ve done all that I can think of to amount to a greater human and spiritual being, however, I am at a standstill where I feel as if time is running out and I will need your help in guiding me. Mr. Poitier, you’ve help Denzel Washington and multiple craftsmen, I beg you to shed light upon me, and after all you are the God-Father of Hollywood.

Last but not least, I have been proactive with my own productions while aiming to be the best in my craft as an Actor and Producer. The industry has evolved in a way were talent is measured based on a budget and the popularity of trends. At heart, I am passionate about becoming a 33rd Mason and influencing young generations of African Americans to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment